No matter where you live, saving money on your home heating bill is probably a big priority during the winter. If home heating is left unchecked, it can get out of control. To help you out, we’ve compiled 10 simple ways for you to save some cold, hard cash this season:
- Wear more clothes – Instead of reaching for the thermostat at the slightest hint of being cold, try slipping on a sweater and socks, or get yourself under a blanket.
- Lower the temperature – To keep the heat from turning on when it isn’t very cold in your home, turn the thermostat down a few degrees.
- Install a programmable thermostat – Manual thermostats are too limited, and require a lot of attention. Programmable models give you more flexibility and will help you lower your home heating bill.
- Turn down your water heater’s temperature – If you lower the water heater’s temperature to 115-120 degrees, you won’t notice the change, but your monthly bill will.
- Check vents for obstructions – If anything is blocking your heating vents, this will restrict what your furnace is attempting to accomplish.
- Improve your insulation – If you don’t have the correct amount and/or type of insulation in certain areas of your home, heat will escape, forcing your heating equipment to work harder.
- Replace old weatherstripping – Weatherstripping that has become worn out will no longer hold in the heat, so replacement is necessary.
- Seal leaks – Either conduct an evaluation of your home’s air leakage yourself or hire a technician to do it. Sealing leaks is a great way to keep the heat inside and avoid wasting energy.
- Shut your fireplace damper – This one often goes unnoticed. If you shut your fireplace damper, this will keep heat from escaping through it.
- Avoid using ventilation fans unless necessary – These fans are great at pushing out fumes, but they’ll also push out the heat.
If you would like further assistance lowering your home heating bill, or for questions regarding home comfort, don’t hesitate to contact the heating and cooling experts at Powers Heating & Air. We’ve been serving the needs of Peachtree City and the surrounding area since 2001.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Peachtree City, Georgia and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock