A sudden and prolonged power outage can occur without warning. Here are the most important steps to prepare for a power outage and what to do if you find yourself without power:
- Make sure you have a flashlight for each person and spare batteries to keep them running as long as necessary.
- Have a battery-powered radio on hand to stay informed of updates.
- Keep a portable source of heat available if the power outage occurs at night in the winter. A wood-burning stove is a good option, but you will need to ventilate it properly for safety reasons.
- Store a cooler somewhere and keep ice on hand to help save refrigerated and frozen food if an outage occurs.
- Put together a survival kit that includes water, non-perishable food, a first aid kit, tool box, emergency contact information and extra cash.
- Obtain a portable generator rated for the amount of power you might need during a power outage. Keep extra fuel for the generator on hand so you can use it at a moment’s notice.
How To Weather a Power Outage
- Leave the food in the freezer and refrigerator without opening the doors if the outage is expected to last less than 24 hours. If a prolonged outage is expected, transfer ice and perishable food to a cooler to help it last longer.
- Unplug electronics to keep them from being damaged by a power surge when the power comes back on.
- Keep one light turned on so when the power outage has passed, you will know immediately.
- Stay home unless you need to travel for an emergency. Traffic lights won’t work and the roads will be overcrowded.
- Use your power generator safely. Make sure it is kept outside so exhaust can’t harm you or your family.
For more information about preparing for and surviving a power outage, or for a variety of HVAC services, please contact Powers Heating and Air in Peachtree City.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about power outages and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Powers Heating & Air serves Peachtree, GA and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!