Nothing is harder on your A/C performance than dust, whether it’s indoors or out. Dust makes all the parts work harder and can even contribute to a system breakdown that would never have occurred if the equipment were dust-free.
Here’s what you can do to minimize a dust problem:
- Make a note to check your filter for the air handler monthly when you’re using your air conditioning routinely. Dust that covers the filter slows the passage of air through the filter, raising your energy bills. Dust also collects on the evaporator coil, which ultimately can cause the coil to freeze over and burn the outdoor compressor out.
- Remove any vegetation or objects around the outdoor compressor. Dust that collects on the fins and coils inside the compressor lowers the ability of the system to remove the heat from the refrigerant.
- Spray the fins and coils with water from the hose using a light to medium flow. The fins may bend under a strong spray.
Rely on the services of an HVAC professional to improve A/C performance by completing these tasks:
- Checking and cleaning all the electrical connections and components for dust. Dust slows the passage of electricity from point to point, which can decrease the system’s performance.
- Removing dirt from all the parts inside the air handler, including the evaporator coil.
- Testing the refrigerant pressure in the system. If it’s low, the technician adds more. He’ll also run down the cause of low refrigerant, looking for small leaks in the coils or valves. Refrigerant is inside a sealed system and the leaks can be caused by excessive dust acting as an abrasive. Leaking refrigerant is an environmental hazard. When the levels get too low, your air conditioner won’t run.
Powers Heating & Air can help you with your A/C performance, removing dust and dirt and bringing the equipment back to factory specifications. We proudly provide HVAC services in the Fayette & Coweta County areas as well as Fayetteville, Peachtree City, Newnan, Sharpsburg, Senoia, Brooks and Senoia.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about A/C performance and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Powers Heating & Air serves Peachtree, GA and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!