CO Poisoning: It Can Happen Anytime of Year

CO Poisoning: It Can Happen Anytime of Year

CO Poisoning: It Can Happen Anytime of YearMost people think of carbon monoxide or CO poisoning as a problem that occurs most often during the heating months, as a result of faulty heating systems and other appliances and fixtures that burn fuel. While it’s certainly important to properly maintain your HVAC equipment, you should also be aware that CO poisoning is not just a problem that occurs in the winter; it can be a threat to your family throughout the year.

Carbon monoxide is present in more places around your home than you realize. This toxic, odorless gas is especially dangerous because it’s virtually undetectable unless you have CO detectors in place. However, it’s vitally important to know where to install CO detectors in your home. You’ll want to place one on each floor of your home, near the ceiling, with special priority given to sleeping areas. CO is the most dangerous when you’re sleeping and not moving around.

One of the keys to avoiding CO poisoning is knowing what equipment and activities pose the most potential risk. Generally, carbon monoxide is produced whenever something burns. Some of the most common sources of CO in and around your home (outside of your HVAC equipment) include water heaters, clothes dryers, boilers, charcoal grills, lawn mowers, gas powered generators, motor vehicles, wood stoves, and fireplaces.

That’s right; that summer barbeque can be deadly if you’re not grilling in a well-ventilated area. You should also avoid operating your generator or idling motor vehicles inside your garage even when the overhead door is open.

With monoxide monitors in place (with fresh batteries and regular testing), you can assure your family is safe from CO poisoning throughout the year.

For advice selecting the proper CO detectors for your Peachtree City area home, please contact our experts at Powers Heating and Air today.

Our goal is to help educate our customers in Peachtree, Georgia and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). 

Image courtesy of Shutterstock

1 Comment

  1. […] can become poisoned from even low amounts of CO. At a low dose, you will likely experience headaches, trouble […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.