Not every issue with your air conditioner (A/C) is an emergency and needs immediate attention. Some are small and easy to identify, and some problems can even be easily fixed. These are some common air conditioner problems that you should learn about:
- Poor or non-existent airflow. If you notice that air doesn’t really seem to be blowing throughout your ducts and home, check the air filter. A dirty air filter can block airflow in your ducts and put strain on your blower, which can subsequently breakdown.
- Refrigerant leaking out. The heat transfer process relies on having the correct level of refrigerant. If there is too much because you’re constantly adding it or too little because of leaks, your efficiency will suffer. This is a problem that should be solved by a professional, who will fix the leak and reset the refrigerant to the correct amount.
- Water leaking and drainage issue. If you spot leaks it might be because the condensate drain is clogged. If it is, simply clean it and see if that remedies the issue.
- A/C struggling to turn on and off. If your fan or compressor controls wear out from overuse, your A/C won’t run reliably. The most common cause of this is having an oversized unit, which happens very often. Another potential cause is wire or terminal degradation over time. This is a problem that most technicians will check for during a service visit.
- Thermostat sensor unreliable. Room A/Cs in particular have a thermostat sensor to alert the system to turn on and off as needed. If the sensor gets moved, system behavior will become erratic. Reset the sensor so that it is close to the coil, but not touching.
These are some of the most common air conditioner problems, but there are many more issues you may face. If you need professional help with your Peachtree City home’s A/C, contact Powers Heating & Air.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Peachtree City, Georgia and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock