If you’re like many homeowners, you may be wondering if you should schedule your HVAC tech for a duct cleaning. It depends on a number of factors from home to home, including HVAC usage and care and the types and amounts of contaminants in the home.
If you’ve never had your air ducts cleaned or it’s been several years since, it’s probably worth your time to have the ductwork inspected. Keep reading to see if any of the common telltale signs of contaminated ducts pertain to your situation.
- Visible mold or mildew: Look inside the supply registers and return grilles for mold and mildew. If you can access the evaporator coil, look for mold on the coil, fins and drip pan. If mold exist in these areas, there’s a good chance mold is present inside the air ducts.
- Unexplained respiratory ailments: Mysterious respiratory issues are common signs for unhealthy indoor air quality, which could be linked to the air ducts.
- Household member with respiratory ailments: If a person in your household suffers from respiratory ailments, such as asthma or allergies, duct cleaning may alleviate some of the symptoms.
- Foul odors: Mold and mildew exude an earthy or musty odor. If mold and mildew are growing inside the air ducts, you’re going to smell it sooner or later.
- Signs of vermin: Rodents may give off odors as well. Rodents are likely carrying various bacteria and germs and they’ll leave behind feces and body decomposition.
- Debris discharge from registers: Over time, dirt and debris may become caked along duct walls and boots. Discharge is common when ducts are dirty.
- Noisy airflow: Whistling sounds and strange noises from the air ducts are a sign that dirt and debris accumulation is obstructing smooth airflow.
- Unbalanced airflow: Dirt accumulation in boots and branches can cause unbalanced airflow at the supply registers.
If you would like to schedule a duct cleaning evaluation for your Peachtree City home, please contact the HVAC and IAQ experts at Powers Heating & Air.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Peachtree City, Georgia and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Yuriy Vlasenko/Shutterstock”