There’s nothing like a fall furnace tune-up to lower your Peachtree City area home’s energy bills while maintaining a high level of comfort this winter. While tune-up points vary among contractors, a reputable company will ensure that these essential tasks are included in your inspection:
- Clean and inspect the blower assembly, heat exchanger and other essential components to ensure they’re free of damage and in good working order.
- Measure the voltage and current on the motor and the gas pressure and burner combustion to ensure they meet system specifications.
- Inspect the ventilation system to ensure the proper venting of combustion gases.
- Check for dangerous carbon monoxide leaks.
- Tighten connections and lubricate moving parts of the system to prevent corrosion and friction.
- Inspect your ductwork for obstructions and loose connections that can restrict airflow.
- Check your thermostat to ensure it’s accurate.
- Test the controls of the system to make sure it cycles properly.
While your tune-up will increase your system’s efficiency, there are several things you can do to take some of the heating load off of your furnace to prevent wear and maintain top efficiency for the duration of the winter.
- Stock up on high-quality, pleated air filters. Check you air filter every month, and when it’s caked with dust, replace it. A clean filter ensures optimum airflow to keep your system efficient, prevents dust from building up inside your system, and improves your indoor air quality.
- Reverse the direction of your ceiling fan blades (to clockwise) and run them on the lowest setting. Warm air rises, and the fans will push it back down and distribute it evenly throughout your rooms. Just don’t forget to switch them back in the spring.
- Seal air leaks in your home to prevent the loss of warm air and the infiltration of cold air, which your furnace has to work extra hard to compensate for.
- Install a programmable thermostat. You can program lower thermostat settings during the day when you’re at work and while you’re sleeping to lower your energy bills and ease the load on your system.
To schedule your fall furnace tune-up in the Peachtree City area, please feel free to contact us at Powers Heating & Air.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Peachtree City, Georgia and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock