A greenhouse is an excellent way to work your green thumb magic at home, but having a proper set up is essential for success. One of the most important things for your grow space is adequate ventilation. By keeping the temperature in check, you’ll give your plants the kind of environment they need to flourish. Here’s how to find the right greenhouse ventilation for your needs:
Natural Versus Mechanical Ventilation
Both mechanical and natural ventilation methods offer good options for keeping the air moving in your greenhouse, but the system must be well designed to maximize its effectiveness. The following highlights different ventilation options and some of the key features of each, as well as tips on how to make the most out of whatever method you choose to go with.
- Install side and roof vents to get the air flowing in your growing space. Just make sure they are large enough to promote effective air movement. This tried-and-true method has been used for many years.
- Use an open-roof greenhouse design to help curb energy costs associated with running fans all day. Open-roof greenhouses, which have recently grown in popularity, allow you to open the roof almost entirely so that your plants are exposed to the sun and fresh air.
- Ensure your open-roof greenhouse is the correct size for your needs, and locate it in a way that best utilizes wind flow.
- Consider adding a shade system that’s porous to help control the hot summer temperatures.
- Equip your greenhouse with a fan system to have greater control over temperature and air flow. Although a fan system will increase your energy costs, the upside is that you don’t need to worry about outdoor conditions negatively impacting plant health.
- Choose fans that are the right size and are optimally located for the requirements of your greenhouse.
- Keep your fans well maintained by regularly cleaning away dust and debris. This will maximize their efficiency.
For more information on choosing the right greenhouse ventilation, please contact us at Powers Heating and Air. We proudly serve the Peachtree City area.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Peachtree City, Georgia and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Guide or call us at 770-487-2040.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Unsplash/Pixabay”