After working hard to keep Peachtree City and Fayetteville residents cool all summer, their HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) systems hopefully are getting a little TLC in the form of an annual tune-up as winter approaches. Preventive maintenance on your system will keep it running efficiently and safely this heating season, saving you money on energy costs and extending its life. When your HVAC professional conducts a comprehensive annual service call, there are several factors that he or she will inspect and evaluate to ensure that your furnace operates at peak performance this winter, including:
- Checking the thermostat for accuracy to keep you warmer and your heating bills lower.
- Measuring the current and voltage on the motor for safe operation.
- Tightening gas and electrical connections to ensure your system operates safely.
- Lubricating your system’s moving parts to eliminate friction and lower your electricity costs.
- Checking the system controls to ensure your furnace starts, runs and turns off properly
- Checking the burner combustion and gas pressure for safe and efficient operation.
- Performing a carbon monoxide test to check for dangerous leaks.
- Inspecting the flue, vent and caps for proper air flow.
- Checking the blower assembly for efficiency.
Between annual service calls, there are some steps that you can take to keep your system in top shape and lower your energy costs, including:
- Replacing your air filters monthly to ensure proper air flow and to keep the interior of your furnace dust-free. This prevents expensive repairs and improves your indoor air quality.
- Keeping the area around your furnace clean and accessible. Store flammable materials at least 15 feet away from your unit.
- Knowing the location of your gas shutoff valve, and ensuring that it is accessible in case of an emergency.
- Posting your gas company’s emergency phone number on your furnace, and calling it right away if you smell gas around your system.
- Testing your smoke and carbon-monoxide detectors, and replacing the batteries in each unit.
- Reversing your ceiling fans to push warm air down, keeping you comfortable at lower thermostat settings.
Powers Heating & Air also serves the Newnan, Sharpsburg & Senoia areas with honesty and integrity. For more expert tips on keeping your furnace operating at peak efficiency, or to schedule an annual service call, please contact us.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Peachtree, GA and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about annual service and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock