Phone book ads and online searches yield lots of HVAC company names. But if you cast your fishing line into that unknown pool of contractors, you may catch a stinker. Finding a reputable HVAC professional doesn’t have to be a daunting task. You can weed out unscrupulous contractors by knowing which credentials to look for and what questions to ask.
The federal Energy Star program offers consumers these 10 pointers to follow when hiring an HVAC contractor:
- Do a little homework. Educate yourself about Georgia’s licensing and insurance requirements for contractors. Ask potential contractors to show you their licensing and insurance documents and make sure the dates are current. Call your local inspection department to verify that they buy permits and have your system inspected when completed for health and safety of you and hour family.
- Talk to your family, friends and co-workers. Get referrals of contractors from people you trust.
- Check contractor references. Call potential contractors and ask for references — and then call the references to find out if they are still satisfied with the work that was done.
- Shop for specials and rebates. Many energy-efficient appliances and equipment offer rebates with their purchase. But be wary of “too-good-to-be-true” deals that are offered by the contractor.
- Purchase Energy Star appliances. Look for the star logo on appliances, which lets you know they are more energy-efficient than non-Energy Star products.
- Expect a comprehensive evaluation of your home’s heating and cooling needs. One key to finding a reputable HVAC professional is selecting a contractor that employs NATE-certified technicians.
- Compare written estimates from several contractors. Don’t automatically accept the lowest bid, particularly if it does not include energy-efficient strategies.
- Have the contractor sign on the dotted line. Prepare a proposal that outlines costs, warranties, work schedules and estimated completion date and have the contractor sign it.
- Recommend Energy Star products. Educate your family and friends about the energy-efficient savings they can realize by purchasing Energy Star products.
- Read the Energy Star guide. Download the Energy Star guide as a reference for maintaining your HVAC equipment, knowing what to expect from contractors and improving your home’s efficiency.
Finding a reputable HVAC professional in Peachtree City begins at Powers Heating & Air. We’re happy to answer all your HVAC questions.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Peachtree City, Georgia and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock