Trying to get through winter with a malfunctioning, poorly performing furnace can be a frustrating experience. Now that winter’s finally over, it may be time to send that ragged old furnace to the junkyard and upgrade with a new and better unit. Here are some important points to consider as you look at your options for a furnace upgrade.
- End-of-season specials: Now that temperatures are warming up, HVAC dealers may be interesting in moving furnaces and heating system equipment at a discount. With demand for heating at a post-season low, prices on equipment and installation are likely to drop. Contact your trusted local source and ask about any end-of-season specials.
- Find the type you need: Furnaces use multiple types of fuel, including natural gas, propane, and fuel oil. Natural gas furnaces are very common. They work quite well in most environments, and gas utility hook-ups are easy to find throughout the country. All-electric furnaces are a money-saving heating option, as are geothermal heat pumps that make extremely effective use of the electricity that powers them.
- Get a right-sized unit: Consult with your HVAC supplier to make sure you get a furnace that is the right size for your home. Avoid furnaces that are too small; they don’t heat adequately and must work harder, which leads to early breakdowns. A system that is too large will overheat your home and waste energy and money.
- Go for a high-efficiency system: A high-efficiency furnace will save you considerable amounts of money on your monthly utility bills. You will most likely see savings high enough that the unit will pay for itself by about the halfway point of its life. Look for a furnace with a high annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) rating. This number indicates the percentage of energy in the fuel that becomes usable heat. Higher AFUE numbers mean better efficiency.
- Take into consideration your cooling system needs: Ask your HVAC comfort consultant to review your current air conditioning system. You should always look at how a new furnace will enhance your current AND future air conditioning equipment and provide the most efficient and cost effective system possible.
Powers Heating & Air provides HVAC services to residential and commercial customers in South Metro Atlanta Georgia and areas like Peachtree City, Newnan and Fayetteville. Contact us today for more information on furnace upgrades, to get an estimate for a new heating system or to schedule installation.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about furnace upgrades and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
|Preventative Maintenance image via Shutterstock|