It’s easy to neglect your water heater until it stops working, and by then it may be so far gone that a replacement is necessary.
Water heater maintenance will help your water heater last 12 years or more and keep it operating efficiently. Since about 18 percent of your energy bill goes toward water heating, you can significantly reduce your utilities by keeping your water heater in top condition. A comprehensive water heater tune-up by a qualified HVAC professional will include these important tasks:
- Tighten electrical and gas connections.
- Clean the burners or heating element and adjust the pilot light.
- Check the pipes and flue for damage to prevent dangerous carbon monoxide leaks on a gas unit.
- Check the temperature and pressure relief valve to ensure this important safety feature is working properly.
- Check the anode rod, a sacrificial metal device that prevents your tank from rusting, and replace it if necessary.
- Drain the sediment from your water heater tank. Sediment acts as an insulator between the heating device and the water in your tank, and makes your system less efficient.
While professional water heater maintenance is important to ensure a safe and efficient water heater, you can do some things to maintain your system’s high performance year-round.
- Insulate the pipes and tank to save up to 9 percent on water heating costs. Pre-cut foam pipe insulation is easy to install. Insulate your hot and cold water pipes as far as you can. Check the specs of your system to determine what type of insulating blanket or jacket will fit on your tank.
- Set your water temperature to 120 degrees. Hotter water increases the risk of scalding, promotes corrosion and raises your energy costs.
- Maintain two feet of clearance around your equipment.
- Store combustible materials at least 15 feet away from your water heater.
For more expert advice about water heater maintenance, or to schedule a water heater tune-up, please feel free to contact us at Powers Heating & Air. We help keep Peachtree City area residents comfortable year round with a high level of expertise and excellent customer service.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Peachtree City, Georgia and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock