There are many techniques for reducing household energy consumption, but the most reliable ways to cut energy usage and costs is with the products you use. The Energy Star program provides detailed information and guidelines for homeowners who want to invest in energy-efficient appliances, electronics, and other devices. Here’s a brief overview of the program’s guidelines and what you can expect from them.
The Basis of the Energy Star Program
The Energy Star program is a collaboration between the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Its mission is to inform and educate consumers about energy issues, including energy conservation and energy savings.
As part of its mission, the Energy Star tests and certifies a number of energy-using devices. The certification indicates that the devices meet the program’s standards for energy efficiency and that anyone who purchases and uses the product can expect it to be as efficient as possible.
Certified products will have the Energy Star logo affixed in a conspicuous spot, usually on the information EnergyGuide label. Only tested and certified products can use the Energy Star logo. You can find the logo on items such as appliances, consumer electronics, heating and cooling equipment, lighting equipment, and office equipment.
Energy Star Guidelines
The guidelines for Energy Star certification include these standards:
- The efficiency and performance of equipment must be verifiable and measurable.
- Products must reduce energy consumption wherever they are used.
- Devices must be energy efficient and provide the features customers demand.
- Equipment must generate savings on utility bills of a level that can allow purchasers to recover the cost of the equipment through these savings over a reasonable period of time.
- Certification and labeling must adequately identify energy efficient equipment and distinguish it from competing products.
Powers Heating and Air was founded in 2001, and since then the company has been providing reliable professional HVAC services to its valued customers in and around Peachtree City. Contact us today for more information on the Energy Star program and the guidelines that can help you choose the most energy-efficient and economic products for your home.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “publicdomain/Wikipedia”