Insulation is an essential but often overlooked component of your heating and cooling system. While many homeowners know that it helps keep warm air out of their homes in the summer and retain indoor heat during the colder months, they have no idea that a time comes when it’s crucial to start replacing insulation.
The Need to Replace Insulation
Several factors make it necessary for you to replace your home insulation:
- Loss of effectiveness — Insulation deteriorates over time. Consequently, it could allow heat gain in the summer and heat loss in the winter.
- Maintain structural integrity — Your attic insulation can damage your home’s structure. If you ignore it for long, old insulation can facilitate mold and rotting of beams.
- Health — Rodents can make old or damaged insulation their home and leave behind harmful contaminants. These contaminants can spread to other areas of your home and put your health at risk.
When to Replace Insulation
So how do you know it’s time to replace insulation? The tips below will help:
- When replacing your roof — You should replace your attic insulation together with your roof.
- Your home is too warm or too cold — If your house gets too hot very quickly during the summer months or too cold in the winter, chances are your insulation requires replacement.
- Odor coming from the attic — Does your attic have an odor? That’s a good sign that your insulation has been a victim of pest infestation. You should have it removed quickly.
- Don’t know how old your insulation is — If you can’t remember the last time your home was insulated by a professional, the existing insulation is probably too old. Consider replacing it.
Replacing insulation is a critical part of keeping your home healthy, comfortable, and energy efficient. If you need help finding out if your insulation is up-to-date or needs urgent replacement, make sure you only work with a reputable professional.
To learn more about replacing insulation, contact the pros at Powers Heating & Air, proudly serving the Peachtree City area with quality HVAC services.